Are you looking for cute suitcases for teen girls? Can it be a hassle? Most of the stores carry big bulky black suitcases that are more suited for adult business trips than a teenage girl. We are researching fashion and smart suitcases that were simply the ticket to upgrade to a more elegant travel look.
The teenager wants to be independent, but style and looks are equally important to them. Then all the practical features frequent travelers know you need in good luggage. Steer them in the correct direction by getting them luggage that you know will achieve both!
There’s not always a one-size-fits-all solution to teen luggage – what they might need for a weekend camping with friends is very different from taking a spring break trip to Europe! We’ll cover our favorite teen suitcases in detail but also some practical suggestions on perfectly sized totes for teens and accessories to make travel easier.
Following are the top 5 picks of the Best Suitcases For Teen Girls. (summary)
|American Tourister Moonlight Hardside Suitcase||Note: Mesh divider and cross straps to keep content well-arranged inside.||Check Price|
|Travelpro Maxlite 5 Softside Spinner Wheel Luggage||Note: Available in sets of 2 or 3 suitcases of different sizes.||Check Price|
|Heys America Colour Herringbone Fashion Spinner Suitcase||Note: 360-degree spinner wheels.||Check Price|
|Jetstream Hardside Carry On Luggage Set||Note: Zippered divider and straps inside for better storage.||Check Price|
|THE NORTH FACE ROLLING THUNDER WHEELED DUFFLE||Note: small enough to fit.||Check Price|
Table of Contents
This content is part of our best family travel products series – we have you covered, from camping travel to the ultimate family vacation checklist.
Types of Teen Luggage :
Finding the right sort of teenager luggage can undoubtedly be a challenge. We need to look for a trade-off between pretty patterns and durable materials that are lightweight enough for girls to carry it independently.
Of course, the luggage piece has to be large enough to fit all the essentials for a big trip. Not just clothing but accessories, shoes (how many shoes!), and all their items – electronics, chargers, toiletries – it’s much more complex than packing for your younger kids!
There are different types of luggage for teens that you can try:
- Hardshell Suitcase – This is a bag with a rugged ABS plastic or polycarbonate frame. It is waterproof and durable – and can handle stress and scratches – though it lacks some flexibility and can be a little heavier than other soft luggage. Cheap brands are also prone to cracking and damage from mishandling.
- Softside Suitcase – This type of luggage is made from durable fabric such as nylon. It has more ‘give’ and flexibility, and usually external pockets and expander zips for more packing options.
- Rucksack – A flexible luggage, usually without a frame. A backpack is worn over both shoulders and can vary significantly in size and capacity. These are best for outdoor adventures without smooth surfaces for wheeled luggage.
- Duffel Bag – A large, cylindrical luggage with a top opening, a duffel bag is flexible and heavy-duty. It can carry bulky products easily but must be kept light enough to carry over the shoulder (though some larger duffels also come with wheels).
- Travel Tote – This luggage, with straps for a single shoulder, is more significant than regular totes. They are ideal for a few clothes and other essentials, though not great for long periods of carrying, best for short trips.
- Backpack – A smaller luggage with straps to be carried on both shoulders. A load is smaller and generally less durable than a rucksack but suitable for a few items. Ideal to be used as a carry-on or for short trips where extensive carrying may be necessary, it’s more practical than a tote.
- Carry-On Luggage – Suitcases, rucksacks, duffels, totes: anything that can fit in the overhead compartment of an airplane. To fit in the overhead compartment, actual carry-on rules vary by airline – aim for under 22″ long by 14″ wide to be sure.
- Wheeled Luggage – All types of luggage can have wheels, even carry-on luggage, and duffels. There are either one-directional wheels (usually 2-wheeled) or rotational wheels (4 wheeled). Four independent spinner wheels are by far the most practical, but this can add to the cost and weight of the bag.
Choosing the best teen suitcases depends on the kind of trip your teenager is planning. While totes and backpacks are great for weekend trips, rucksacks are best for hiking trips.
Hardshell suitcases provide better protection during international travels or if the luggage might be tossed around. But soft bags and duffels fit into small storage spaces in buses, cars, etc., and give your teen the most flexibility in their packing.
There may not be a one-size-fits-all solution for your teen’s travel needs which is where luggage sets with multiple options can come in handy. Look for those that have checked luggage as well as a carry-on-sized case and a tote.
Make sure to consult your opinionated teenager. Offer your perspective, but don’t ignore their point of view while browsing through the best suitcases for teenagers.
Here Top 14 Suitcases for Teen Girls :
Now you are aware of what to look for in teen luggage. Here are our recommendations for the best cute suitcases for teen girls. We look at various carry-ons, checked luggage, and luggage sets that give your teen multiple matching options to choose from. (we will cover rucksacks and backpacks for teens in a separate review).
1. Best all-rounder teen suitcase: American Tourister Moonlight Hardside Suitcase
A hard-sided suitcase by one of the world’s favorite travel bag Manufacturers, the American Tourister Moonlight, is trusted teen luggage. You can’t go wrong with your teen’s first hard-sided suitcase. Available in various colors and sizes, this suitcase can be bought individually or in sets. Your teenager will love one of the many designs!
What we love:
- Multiple colors and patterns to match the varied tastes of teens
- Mesh divider and cross straps to keep content well-arranged inside
- Four wheels that rotate in different directions for easy movement
- Single suitcases available in both carry-on and checked designs
- Available in sets of 2 or 3 suitcases of various sizes – from 21″ to 28″
2. Best teen carry on suitcase : Travelpro Maxlite 5 Softside Spinner Wheel Luggage
The Travelpro Maxlite 5 is specially designed as an ultra-lightweight suitcase with soft sides. There’s something for each type of traveler, with different colors, sizes, and sets of multiple suitcases. It has numerous items.
What we love:
- Available in a vast range of colors for girls and boys
- Available in sets of 2 or 3 suitcases of different sizes
- Single suitcases in both carry-on and checked luggage of various sizes
- Water and stain-resistant Duraguard coating
- It comes with handles on three sides and 360-degree wheels for excellent maneuverability.
- Sturdy Powerscope handles to 38″, ideal for taller teens.
Expandable by 2″ with a tapering design to prevent tipping over pockets and exterior compartments for easy access to small items.
3. Best hard-sided luggage set for teens: Heys America Colour Herringbone Fashion Spinner Suitcase
A matching 3-piece suitcase with a rigid body, the Heys America Colour Herringbone Fashion Spinner is an excellent suitcase for teenagers. The different sized cases nest inside each other, so you have the correctly sized chance from carry-on to larger checked suitcases to cover every travel occasion. The abstract design in marbleized black and white is ideal for both boys and girls. The 360-degree spinner wheels make it easy to steer on all different terrains.
4. Best cute suitcase for teen girls: Jetstream Hardside Carry On Luggage Set
Two-piece luggage set in colors ranging from rose gold to cobalt to black, the Jetstream Hardside Carry On Luggage Set will capture your teen’s imagination. It’s light and easy to carry or haul around. Plus, the suitcases are designed to hold more stuff – in an organized way.
What we love:
- Available in a range of glamorous colors
- Available with edgy chevron surface design
- Zippered divider and straps inside for better storage
- ABS material that’s resistant against scratches and shocks
- Rotational wheels and two handles on two sides for better portability
5. Cute backpack for teenage girls: THE NORTH FACE ROLLING THUNDER WHEELED DUFFLE
The North Face Thunder Wheeled Duffel is the bag for anybody who needs a rugged carry-on but still wants something fun! This luggage was made to rough travel conditions by featuring oversized wheels, plastic bumpers, and solid nylon to lay up to wear and split. And at 40 liters, the rotary under is the Goldie Locks of suitcases – wide enough to fit all of your necessary yet small enough to fit in most airline overhead compartments.
American Tourister offers a carry-on spinner that packs a thrust with their Belle Voyage range of softside luggage. Inside you’ll find unique characteristics like extra zipper compartments for organizing, a specific blouse pocket, and even a shoe pocket! This spinner also has many pretty details like rose gold accents and a fun print perfect for teens who need to travel in style.
Dakine is known for its tough-as-nails luggage and fun samples. It’s an excellent combo for anyone on the hunt for the ideal luggage for teens. With the Dakine Carry On Roller, you’ll gain a split-level layout for an easy way to your clothes and accessories. Tech lovers will love this luggage as it includes an exterior laptop sleeve for easy access while traveling.
8. Cute suitcases for girls: The Urecity Vintage Carry-On Trunk Suitcase
Urecity Vintage Carry-On Trunk Suitcase offers a range of trunks with retro looks! The metal rivets not only make this bag sturdy but also adds to the vintage look. This is complemented by the leather cover, borders, and corners. It’s light, compact, easy to carry – and attractive! It’s small but super cute that many teen girls will love as a simple weekend travel bag.
What we love:
- Retro trunk with a leather finish and rivets on metal
- It comes with both shoulder strap and handles
- Combination lock system for better security
- Available in 2 different sizes for light trips
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- It comes in several other color and size choices if you’re seeking more retro options.
- It also comes with a larger retro-look matching 26″ check suitcase.
American Tourister allows luggage with teens in mind with their Moonlight series of expandable luggage. Available in various colors and prints, the Moonlight series offers excellent characteristics such as two large storage compartments, a blouse pocket, and ultra-smooth spinner wheels. A hardshell construction also means your contents will be protected and secure inside, no matter how rough the airport handles. The American Tourister Moonlight is also available in a smaller carry-on size.
This pair of luggage might be better befitted for more casual travel, which is something that’s demonstrated by its relatively cheap price tables. The set can be bought in various styles and designs to suit either male or female teen needs.
This set can also be great for younger folks. Some of the cheap designs feature bright symbols, cartoon characters, and polka dots.
The set pictured above has one of the most excellent and unique designs I’ve seen on a suitcase. As such, it was sure to be appreciated by those who tend to be more artsy and creative.
This colorful luggage item has enough space for everything you’d want to pack, reducing the demand for multiple bags. It contains four inside zip compartments and two exterior pockets, making it extremely simple for you to organize and sort your belongings.
The Dakine women’s roller bag is also created with stability in mind, with a sturdy, strong handle, urethane wheels, locking zippers, and sturdy fabrics.
And to peak it all off, this suitcase looks excellent as well. Its outside flaunts a brightly colored, checkered pattern, making it perfect for any young woman.
12. Best soft-sided luggage set for teens: Regent Square Soft Case Travel Luggage Set
Suppose your young adult traveler has a sophisticated choice. In that case, the Regent Square Travel Luggage Set is one of the best suitcases for teens. It is available in two stunning colors, gray and navy blue. The design is perfect for leisure and educational trips. It’s ideal for boys and girls.
What we love:
- It comes in a set of three suitcases of different sizes that nest for storage.
- Shock-resistant wheels that rotate in all directions
- Three handles on the top and one side, including one height-adjustable handle
- A stylish, sophisticated, and unique look
- Available in two neutral shades
13. Most Stylish Teen Luggage: Rockland Fashion Softside Luggage Set
The Rockland Fashion Softside Luggage comes in a surprising range of stunning suitcases. There are bright solid shades and fabulous patterns like polka dots, animal prints, camouflage, etc. With lots of space and straps inside, packing and accessing content is easy!
What we love:
- Wide range of colors and patterns for boys and girls
- It comes in sets of 2 and 4 bags
- Long-lasting unidirectional wheels for easy hauling
- Zippered sections on the inside and outside
- Top and side handles for better portability
14. Also worth considering: Lily Bloom Luggage For Woman
If your teenage kid has an eye for all things cute, the Lily Bloom Luggage is one of the best suitcases for teenagers. Equally a mini work of art as a practical way to lug around your gear, this suitcase made from recycled bottles comes in various feminine designs with floral and animal patterns in different color combos. The teen luggage with a soft case is heavy-duty and spacious, too.
What we love:
- Wide range of stunning feminine patterns
- Ergonomic handles and four wheels for better portability
- Several internal and external pockets for tidy packing
- Carry-on cabin luggage with a lightweight and compact design
- Vast structure for more excellent stability to prevent falling
- Approx 100L capacity with extra 12L using expansion zip
- 28″ checked luggage size
- Carry on and tote options also available
What to Look for in a Quality Suitcases for Teen Girls :
Your teen can stuff a miniature world inside a suitcase, so it’s important to think practically about what they need. And remember, if the point is for them to be using the suitcase independently, the most crucial thing is how they will lift it, carry it and transport it from A to B.
These are the essential features that we look for:
Hard/Soft Suitcase – Soft suitcases allow more flexibility as the sides can bend; however, hard suitcases are better at protecting the contents inside. Given the material hard suitcases are now made from, they are much the same in total weight. Still, they are conscious of how much the suitcase itself weighs before you have anything in it!
Checked/Cabin Suitcase – When traveling by plane, your teen can keep the cabin suitcase under the seat or in overhead lockers. A checked suitcase is too large to fit on the plane (generally, the height limit is 21″), so it needs to sit underneath the cargo hold and be collected after the journey.
Carrying – Will, your teen, be pulling the luggage on wheels or lugging a bag on their shoulders? This will depend entirely on where your teen will be taking the case for long-haul journeys and anywhere that involves going through airports and train stations. You will almost certainly want wheels. Anywhere you’ll be without smooth flat surfaces, two shoulder straps, or a sturdy over-shoulder luggage strap is essential.
Durability: Your teen’s luggage will no doubt go through a lot of manhandling over the years. Getting shoved and pulled goes hand in hand with being forced to carry stuff they can’t hold. Plus, there’s rain, rough terrain, and drops. So pick suitcases made of durable materials that will last your teen several years – ideally, you want them to last into the early years of adulthood.
Size: Determine the size of the suitcase based on the distance and duration of the trip and the modes of transportation. Most teens hate bulky suitcases that are too heavy to lift. Look on larger checked suitcases for good grab handles on the top and sides. So you’re not tugging too hard on the pulling handle, which can snap with misuse – remember, even wheeled cases still need to be picked up in and out of cars or up and downstairs. The biggest mistake we’ve seen parents make with teen luggage is assuming wheels means they can take a heavier case.
Flexibility: When choosing a suitcase, whether hard-sided or soft-sided, look to whether there is an option to expand the case if additional space is needed. The different internal size will add to the weight and may make a previously carry-on complaint case too wide once expanded.
Security: You’ve no doubt heard horror stories of items being slipped into suitcases unawares to the owner. We highly recommend you lock the zips together for any flight or international travel, so this does not happen to your teen. Suppose the suitcase does not come with a padlock. Get them a TSA-approved combination lock for safety and peace of mind. (TSA-approved locks can be opened by airport security staff for any checking requirements without damaging the bag).
Style: Companies create different types of suitcases with sleek designs and stylish patterns and colors. Check with your teen and see what kind of a suitcase they are comfortable with – neutrals may be a little boring. However, they can still work best if your teen suddenly can’t stand florals or vivid colors.
Our testing process for these luggage items was twofold: first, we tested the more measurable qualities like weight, stability, shape, and so on.
Then, we joined a council of sorts, made up of 35 teenagers (half male, half female). These young adults decided, “yes, I like this piece,” or “no, I would never use this set” on over 50 various sets of luggage. Any single product with less than 60% “yes” voted from our panel was instantly discounted.
In this post, the 15 suitcases you notice were the winners – they passed our pressure trial with flying colors and were all okay’d by most of our panel.
You may like :
- US Traveler Luggage Review – The Boren Collection - September 10, 2023
- US Traveler Luggage Rio Carry-On – Affordable and Stylish Set for Budget Travelers - September 3, 2023
- Hardshell vs Softshell Luggage: Which is Right for You? - September 2, 2023